phpMyAdmin is a software application developed in PHP that aims to manage the administration of MySQL by websites using the Internet. The management of databases is performed by the graphical interface. This application increasingly supports a higher number of features, which may well be the reason it is one of the most popular tools for managing databases using the Web.
The basic database management allows users to search, create, delete and modify databases, views, tables, indexes, and fields, as well as to manage keys on fields. phpMyAdmin enables you to perform other functions such as importing databases from CSV or SQL, which can be easily done through the interface. You can also export your database into different formats such as XML, SQL, CSV, Excel and more.
It is one of the most popular tools for managing databases using the Web
If you download this free tool you will be able to manage the privileges of users and MySQL users. However, phpMyAdmin does not add security measures to the server; it is the task of the administrator to grant the appropriate privileges on the database. In addition, you can manage multiple servers. You can also make configuration settings from the most basic or advanced aspects, such as configuring the connection to the server, navigation panel, authentication, database structure, MySQL, SQL, developer, and many others.
The user will be able to easily and intuitively manage the interface, which is an important feature because it is necessary to use it to perform every action. It is important to emphasize that phpMyAdmin is extremely useful for accessing the database from any device using the Internet: that is, from anywhere. It is a cross-platform manager, which means that you can make use of it on Windows, Linux and Macintosh. This tool is available in 65 languages, and you can download it for free.
One of the most remarkable advantages of using phpMyAdmin is that it is not necessary to install the Web interface on the device you are working on. This gives the convenience of being able to work from any computer with Internet access. You can enjoy this benefit because the software is installed in the same place as the hosting, which allows you to query the database and perform actions on it.
There is a wide range of documentation created by the developers for free, including a detailed description of the requirements, installation, configuration, and other information that can be very useful. It is also easy to download tutorials and guides in different languages. There are many aids to install this tool (even for different platforms), quick installations and updates.
phpMyAdmin 4.0.9 Features
The main features of phpMyAdmin are listed below:
- Search and delete tables, fields, views, indexes and databases
- Create, delete, copy, rename and modify tables, fields, indexes and databases
- Maintain databases and server tables with proposals about how to configure the server
- Run, mark and edit SQL statements and batch queries
- Manage and configure MySQL users and their privileges
- Manage triggers and stored procedures
- Import your data from SQL and CSV
- Export your data to several formats: SQL, CSV, XML, PDF, Spreadsheet and ISO / IEC 26300 - OpenDocument Text, LaTeX, Word, and others
- Administer multiple servers
- Create PDF graphics from the design of your database
- Use query-by-example (QBE) to create complex queries
- Search globally in a subset of a database, or in the whole database
- Change the data stored in phpMyAdmin into any format using a set of functions that are predefined, such as displaying the download link or BLOB data as an image
If you need to read more information about phpMyAdmin, you can visit the developers’ website here
These are the minimum system requirements your computer needs in order to properly download and run phpMyAdmin:
- Operating System: Windows XP
- A Web server that supports PHP where you can install phpMyAdmin files
- A database server that supports MySQL
- A Web browser