Microsoft Publisher 2013 is a desktop layout design software that belongs to the MS Office suite. It allows for creating, editing and sharing a great range of professional and high quality publications, such as cards, magazines, catalogs or posters. One of the greatest features of this version are the increased possibilities when it comes to images. Now you can move and swap them and add some visual pop to your projects using different effects. In Microsoft Publisher 2013, you can arrange text boxes according to content, link or align them with the help of grids and rulers, and add visual elements. You can store every layout design you make as a pre-defined template, in order to use it again in the future for any other project. Every creation will start through selecting a template, even if it is blank.
You can move and swap images and add some visual pop to them using different effects
What makes this software a worthy competitor for Adobe’s designer, is the fact that you can get similar attractive results with a smaller learning curve. However, some users see this point as a drawback, criticizing its simplicity and its lack of advanced features. As part of the Office suite, its interface has a ribbon style.
Getting to know the novelties of this publishing application
Microsoft Publisher 2013 allows you to search for photos in just one place; it does not matter if they are stored in your computer or online. Just select ‘Insert Pictures’ option and choose the origin of your images. When it comes to adding pictures, this version includes enhancements in the possibility of working with batches of photos. If you choose several of them at a time, they will be placed in a column in the scratch area. There, you can drag and drop them into the layout, and make them come back to the column if you prefer to include another one. Swapping pictures works differently: You have to select the first image, drag it using the mountain icon to the other one and wait until a pink highlight appears around the picture.
Besides, you can use your pictures as a background for your publications. Right-click on the picture and choose ‘Apply to Background’. There you have two options, Fill or Tile. Similarly, you can add effects to your images and texts, such as shadows, glow, reflections, edges or 3D rotations, among others. Regarding printing options, you can save your projects specifically oriented for photo printing, using JPEG format.
Microsoft Publisher 2013 15.0.4420.1017 Features
The unique features of Microsoft Publisher 2013 are the following:
- Diverse text and image effects, such as shadows, glow, reflections, 3D rotations or edges, among others
- Guides and rulers to arrange text and image boxes
- Possibility of choosing an image as the publication background
- Access to pictures no matter their location (online or in your system) in just one option
- Includes formatting of other programs of the suite, such as Word or PowerPoint
- Pictures can be moved by drag and drop functions or swapped with others
- Enhancements in images batch working
- Integration of Office 365
- Compatible with Skype: It allows free video calls directly from the interface
- Possibility of performing collaborative tasks thanks to compatibility with SkyDrive and SharePoint services without needing to download it
If you want to get more information about this software before you download it, feel free to visit the official website of the developer.
The minimum system requirements to download and install Microsoft Publisher 2013 are listed below:
- Operating System: Windows Server or further
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster
- RAM Memory: 1 GB for 32-bit and 2GB for 64-bit
- HDD: 3 GB of free space available